L'AVENIR DE LA PISCINE ALEXANDRA - consultation avant le budget

Visiteur

/ #20

2016-09-02 21:07

When we bought our house on rue Rivermere in 1983, we were so happy to have a pool nearby.  It became a place for our school age children to go. The summer opening was a happy event and they would race home from school to get their bathing suits and is was a meeting place for them with their friends over the course of the summer.  When we were expecting our 4th child, we considered moving but decided to renovate instead and one reason was having that pool nearby.  We spent many happy hours there with the little ones, getting them used to the water and meeting our neighbors.  Swimming lessons were an important part of their growing up.  It was a place to relax and play.  

Now, as seniors, the pool remains important to us as we bring our grandchildren there and get our much needed exercise.  We enjoy seeing the young families and remember the happy times we had that they are now having.  

Consider global warming and a fit population. We walk or bike to the pool and the whole family benefits from activity.  I often see the young families walking by our house armed with towels.  Seaway pool is too far and we would probably drive there.  Even though this is where I learned to swim in the 1960's,  I would not use Seaway pool as the noise is overwhelming and there is not the same feeling of community.  

There is nothing glamorous about our pool.  It is a simple pleasure but gives a wealth of benefits.  I have always been proud of Quebec's heritage of water.  We produce many athletes for water sports and I would like to think that having a neighborhood pool is part of this rich heritage.  

Respectfully submitted
Catherine Ascah Paquet